Marijuana Forum  
Welcome to the Marijuana Forum.

You are currently viewing our Marijuana Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most cannabis discussions, Images and access our other features. By joining our Marijuana Forum you will have access to post marijuana questions, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
Join Cannabis Forum Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Marijuana Forum > Marijuana Forums > General Marijuana Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

buy seeds online!

Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 AM
astrakiller

Default Re: Pro-Mix BX vs HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
I've never had a problems, not even fungus gnats. You're the first I've heard of having any problems like that. What kind of pests?
Fungas gnats and spider mites. I just have a small cab grow that goes in the winter months due to heat problems in the summer. Cant find #4 Sunshine around here in the winter but Pro Mix is around. I dunno.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Muddy

Fungus gnat eggs can be in packaged soil but not spider mites. Miracle Grow soils are notorious for having gnat eggs. Spider mites came from somewhere else. Since Pro-Mix is basically sphagnum peat moss and perlite it's unlikely they came from it. Gnats like soil more than soil less. They also like damp so it's important to let the top of the soil dry out and have good air circulation.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 AM
astrakiller

I didnt know that about spider mites, Muddy. All I know is my last two bales of Pro Mix is when I had problems. Both bales were wet when I bought them and one was frozen wet. I have a habit of letting my plant dry out to the point of wilting a bit so over dampness is not a problem. I stored the bales in a barn, maybe that was the problem?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:23 AM
smashedbyhashish

I would have to say the barn is the culprit. To much of a possibilty of getting infected there. Why were the wet & w/ what & did ya get a discount for it?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 AM
astrakiller

Most of the bales are stored outdoors around here and we are known for our rain. The spider mite thing I have had to deal with on the last 6 or 7 grows, fuckers even attack my clones when they are hooded.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 AM
smashedbyhashish

Man have you sterelized your room & even your house? Do you have pets? 7 grows, bro find a new place...lol
Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 AM
astrakiller

No pets but live out in the toolies. How do I sterilize the house?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:27 AM
smashedbyhashish

Clean w/ bleach/water every where. Also you being in the country you could easly pick up a stole away on your clothing & bring rite into your grow room.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Muddy

The Pro-Mix bags should be sealed. If wet or frozen I wouldn't buy them. Being wet inside that tight plastic could also cause some mold or mildew issues. Ask for sealed bags.

Maybe get some lady bugs and turn em loose in your grow area to eat the mites. Or sterilize the area and start spraying with insecticidal soap and repeat every 3-4 days. It will kill the adults but not the eggs, so repeat treatment is needed to kill the hatchlings. Do this for 2 weeks.

If you're in a rural area like me it's real easy to carry them in on yourself or your clothing. I usually try and wait to tend my indoor area till the evening after I've changed out of my work clothing and taken a shower.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:47 AM
astrakiller

A lot of time we dont have a choice as to wether the bales are dry or not. If they are left out in the elements they will be wet. So why should being wet be an issue if fungas gnats dont like soiless mixes?