Marijuana Forum  
Welcome to the Marijuana Forum.

You are currently viewing our Marijuana Forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most cannabis discussions, Images and access our other features. By joining our Marijuana Forum you will have access to post marijuana questions, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please,
Join Cannabis Forum Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Marijuana Forum > Marijuana Cultivation > Plant Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

buy seeds online!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 AM

Default 2 Week old plants starting to droop - Help!

This is my first time growing weed. I got some quality seeds and they started to germinate after five days. I planted them each in a 4" diameter pot with good drainage and organic soil just under the surface on Feb 13. So far, so good.

I placed them on the inside of my window sill to get some natural sun light. They stayed there for about a week, but I think it was too cold for them, especially at night. By this time they were about 4" tall, bright green, with two tiny leaves. The taller of the two was starting to droop and the other seemed fine.

I decided to move my plants into an empty, clean fish tank with a glass top. (I use to have live freshwater plants in it and thought I could turn it into a terrarium.) I wrapped the glass sides with aluminum foil and the inside stays at 70 degrees.

My light source is a Coralife Freshwater Aqualight T-5 Double Linear Compact Fluorescent Strip 24". The tube model numbers are F14-T5-BP. One tube is a Colormax Full-Spectrum (pink light) and the other is a 6700k Plant Lamp (white light). I have kept the lights on 24/7 since I put the plans inside the tank 3 days ago. I spray the inside with water twice a day and have kept the soil moist.

It's been 10 days since I planted the seeds in soil, 3 days since I moved them into my fish tank-terrarium. Both plants are tall, bright green, with new leaves coming, but both continue to droop and I'm worried about the strength of the stems. I attached a pic below and would appreciate any advice.

I have a pic to include, but because this is my first post this site won't let me... why!? I'll see if I can include it somehow later. Thx.

THANKS! Love this site!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Widow Maker

Default Re: 2 Week old plants starting to droop - Help!

The Seedlings got too tall because they did not receive enough light(hours/intensity).
Use a support to keep them upright for a week or two, they should recover.

Do not keep the soil too wet, the roots need to breath, humidity is good but let the soil dry(top 2"), then administer water/nutrient solution.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Starting Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedwebdev View Post
I have a pic to include, but because this is my first post this site won't let me... why!? I'll see if I can include it somehow later. Thx.

THANKS! Love this site!
I'm with Widow Maker Sounds like good advice to me.

To your picture problem, I think you need something like 10 or 15 posts to start posting pics
Old 02-26-2010, 02:27 AM

An aquarium with a glass top? I'd be concerned about the amount of fresh air they're getting. I'd also be concerned about too much humidity, which is best kept around 50% - high humidity invites fungus, powdery mildew, and various unpleasant critters. Leafed plants need CO2 and need to have the stale O2 they generate blown away. I also agree they probably need more light too.

Prop 'em up, get them out in the open where air can circulate around the leaves. It's always a good idea to have a small oscillating fan on "low", circulating the air around them from a distance - the movement caused by the oscillating air will also help strengthen the stems. And if you can't afford brighter lighting, set your babies up in a way that you can stick up some mylar around them - not aluminum, which actually reflects light poorly - to maximize the available light (but don't close the plants off from that circulating air).

"It's not easy having a good time.. even smiling makes my face ache."
Dr. Frank-n-furter (Rocky Horror Picture Show)
Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 AM

Hey All.. First, a big thank you to Widow Maker and Herber for the great advice. Vagabond, yeah, I got that error message too, kinda dumb. There has to be a better way to spam block or whatever they're trying to do. On to the update...

It's been two days since I posted my problem and one plant is doing better and will probably make it. The other, the taller of the two, is now laying flat across the dirt, but strangely the end with the leaves has turned upwards toward the light. I'd prob her up, but the base of the stem is a little light in color and I'm afraid any adjustments would break the stem.

WidowMaker:
Thank you, again. I think you're right on about them not getting enough light. I noticed they were taller than other pics I've seen of plants at that stage, but thought I had some funky strain. I also think you're right about watering too much - I kept the soil very moist. I stopped watering completely since I read your reply and they still have a ways to go before the soil drys.

Herber: Thank you to you as well. I think having the glass top on helped with the humidity, but also killed the circulation. It also makes the soil much harder to dry out. A fan might help, but I'm pretty sure it would break the stems at this point. I replaced the glass top with a wire mesh top and will get some mylar ASAP.

What do you think of my current light source? Is it enough for plants this small? How do I know when they enter the vegetative stage? When they are in the vegetative stage I've read that some say fluorescent lights are enough, while others have said to get a 400watt high-pressure sodium bulb, hood and ballast (which can also be used for flowering stage). What do you guys think?? Thanks in advance..
Old 02-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Widow Maker

weedwebdev, use a long thin dowel or something to support the plants if necessary. The fluorescents you are using sound okay for 2 Seedlings and will get you into Veg, but must be placed (or the plants raised) to 3-4".
You will know the plants have begun vegging once they start growing like crazy(4-6nodes).

If you are going to mature your plans Indoor you will need a HID lamp, if you intend to start them Indoor then transplant Outdoor, the light you have should surfice.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Starting Over

Fluoros can defintely get you through veg, and even flower...but you would need more of them for sure. The real advantage of fluoros though is the ability to keep them very close to the plants, if you're unable to do that then HID would probably serve you better.

I've used fluoros from seed to harvest, I've also used HID from seed to harvest...HID is faster, there is no argument there. Fluoros can acheive impressive results though, with my current microcab I use HOT5s for flower and I love them Sure HID is faster like I said, but in a microcab HIDs get mighty, mighty hot. Even in my old growroom, which was like 50sq ft my HPS would have overheated it in no time if I didn't vent.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:36 PM

weedwebdev:

Don't be too dainty with your plants. It's pretty hard to "break" young weed stems - they're pretty resilient. Like all living things, plants respond to stress by either failing or getting stronger (you learn a lot about life in general from growing) Just gently prop the stems up and loosely tie them to dowels, bamboo cooking skewers, etc. The velcro-backed plant ties available at any greenhouse are great for this. You'll find that once they start growing their first full-sized leaves (i.e., have gome from seedling to vegetative stage), the stems will thicken and turn woody. But they really need to have fresh air in order to respirate and perform photosynthesis.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about the soil drying out. In fact, it really needs to - roots need a fairly equal amount of water and air, and as the soil dries, the roots grow and branch out as they search for moisture, and root growth is key to a healthy plant. Overwatering is a common mistake among new growers. Just re-water when the top two inches of soil get dry. You'll find that as your babies grow, they'll need bigger and more frequent feedings anyway, so may as well get used to it.

"It's not easy having a good time.. even smiling makes my face ache."
Dr. Frank-n-furter (Rocky Horror Picture Show)
Old 02-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Starting Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herber View Post
Don't be too dainty with your plants. It's pretty hard to "break" young weed stems - they're pretty resilient. Like all living things, plants respond to stress by either failing or getting stronger (you learn a lot about life in general from growing)
Well said, and I couldn't agree more

Last edited by TheVagabond : 10-17-2011 at 11:27 PM.